My not so little girl
My inlaws picked up H and brought him up to their house for almost a week. Its been an adjustment not having him. I feel very lucky that I am one of those rare people who really loves their in laws particularly my husbands gram. I've always been agood sharer..aced preschool.. and I know he is getting spoiled rotten by the whole Northern brood.
I miss him very much but I have had one great unexpected pleasure. I have really had some time to concentrate on E. Because there is such an age gap between them and because she is so independent H kind of eats up my time and attention disproportionately. E and I spent 2 days just going to the beach and watching movies at night. It was nice, like being with a good friend. There was nobody to run after and to keep from throwing sand in his eyes. I actually got to sit in a beach chair for more then 2 minute intervals. We talked and laughed and soaked in the sun. It's sorta good to not be distracted by my little man for a minute and to get the time to appreciate how sweet and funny my firstborn is. At times it was almost like just kickin back with a close friend. Its so strange looking at her sometimes these days. She really is my carbon copy clone which is strange in its own right but now she is losing every real trace of that young look. I cant believe the time has gone soo fast. I am slowly facing the fact that she is not really a young girl any more. Wasnt it just the other day that she started Kindergarten...feels like it.The fact that she is over 11 is just insane to me. Exspecially since when I had her I was only 20 so In many ways we have grown and changed together. I hwas never really an adult without having her in my life. I made some mistakes along the way of course but all in all its been a good journey. So far it looks like somethings going right. I hope this isnt the calm before the storm since she is on the cusp of the teen years but at least for now she is someone I would choose to be around even if I didnt give birth to her. That's saying alot.

1 Comments:
Nicole,
I look at Lorelei (also the carbon copy of myself) and imagine her at E's age, and how wonderful that will be. I too hope we will be as good of friends as you and your DD.
Glad you enjoyed your time with her, sans H. Sounds like a very nice way to reconnect :)
Post a Comment
<< Home