Reflections in a side mirror
E is at a camp for the week run by a local non-profit group with the stated aim of the program being a focus on positive choice making, respectful friendships, and strengthening moral reserves. Nice goals--short amount of time, we will see. So anyway I pull up yesterday for pickup only to overhear the camp director saying that there was a delay in the kids return and that they will be back to the pick up area within 20, 30 minutes. Not wanting to fight traffic again I decide to sit tight as many of the other moms seem to also do. Then as I gaze in my rear view I see them start to compile in a group at the grassy area behind the cars. Hmm Jack's mom. check--Abby's mom-check, Willa's mom--check, all the usuals. They are almost interchangable with their capri pants, white 3/4 length shirts and decorative sandals. Hair just past shoulder length but pulled into a low ponytail with sunglasses perched on head. I look down at my pancake batter stained shirt and decide against joining the group. So I sit and watch in rear view and put the window down seemingly for air but really to listen. I look to the side and see a few other moms doing the same in their car. I overhear alot of talking up kids acomplishments, one child going to a special instrument camp--another going to a computer camp later in the summer, some negative talk about last years teachers and analyzing the upcoming years, and talk of upcoming social events.
In this camp designed to break down barriers...I realize the cliqueness of girlhood lessens but never really goes away, does it??

1 Comments:
Your so right with your statement as MOther's these ladies want there kids to go to these things not for the important values and lessons they are learning but as another social program there child has attended, its so sad that parents still feel the need to compete on behalf of there children in such an immature fashion when the children are secretly thinking "would you grow up already"!!! Kudos to you for staying in your car I would have done the same :)
Post a Comment
<< Home