Saving the world vs saving sanity: Whats a girl to do?

30+ years of letting too many other people's problems get under my skin...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Better options??

On the message board I frequent there was a bit of a discourse over the old SAHM/WOHM debate. Its something I am sure most moms wrestle with and yet we are all on edge about our choices that we tend to get very sensitive to it. I have been on both sides of the situation and its not easy from any angle. When I worked outside of the home I felt like I constantly had to showcase myself as a good mom whether that meant volunteering for things at the preschool that I really didn't have time for and that made me more stressed or staying up until ungodly hours baking things for snacktime. Just to prove to other parents and maybe, no actually definitely to myself that I was involved enough. I'm sure nobody else noticed or cared but its something I felt I had to do. I also felt mommy guilt for missing a lot of things but on top of that I felt some guilt because sometimes I really was happy to be able to drop her off and head off to be around adults. Silly really...men never really seem to wrestle with this. Now as a SAHM I feel like I have to justify my intelligence to others. Once again its MY issue and I am sure nobody really cares. I get particularly sensitive when my husband makes comments that make it sound like I don't do much all day.
I've been thinking about returning part time to work but I think a big part of the problem is that there is a real shortage of quality part time work available. I'm sure this would become a reasonable option for people if there were jobs that utilized their education while still offering benefits. There really isn't much out there. Sure there are restaurant jobs and retail but not much that truly allows you to contribute and build up in your field. I was thinking about applying for a part time teaching position but then realized that there is a rotating schedule so I would still be in the school all day and doing prep for 2 different classes but getting paid only half the regular schedule. Yeah...think I will pass. I just wish there were more options for moms. Not sure where the answer lies though.

3 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel and I usually steer clear of the debate issues as I really think whatever your choice is well that is what is best for your family. I too have been on both sides and felt exactly like you and finally I knew my heart was not completely at work so I decided to be a SAHM now I have done some odd jobs here and there but I agree there are not alot of options for part time work here in Canada either so I sit and wonder how do I stay at home and find work that is suitable for our needs?? HMMM hopefully you find it ;) GL

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger RollerCoaster said...

That is a very sensitive topic and close to many people's hearts. There is no right or wrong. I do understand trying to always prove to others no matter what your situation is. You will find the right PT work if it is meant to be. GL!

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Kori said...

I often feel the same way about having to justify my intelligence as a SAHM. I think everyone has to do what is best for them, but I too struggle with the quandries that present themselves over my decision to SAH.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home