Less than 2 weeks now
We are in the final countdown and it still doesnt feel like it will really happen yet. In less than 2 weeks an 11 year old will board a plane in Ukrania and travel half way around the world to stay with people she has never met for 3 weeks. I just hope we live up to her expectations. I am beginning to stress over some of the details. I know the food is very different here. Will she like our regular food? Should I try to emulate her food? Then there is the langage barrier. I wonder how we will get by all day without really being able to have a full conversation. The children speak very limited English. Tommorow I will meet with the 2 other couples that are hosting orphans so that we can discuss all of this. I also have this image of putting her back on the plane to return to her orphanage and I cant imagine how hard that will be. I hope this experience is an asset in her life and to not have it be like putting out a carrot and then snatching it away. My wish is that we can form a relationship and become mentors and encourage her to strive for a good life.

1 Comments:
Nicole you totally amaze me and Im sure you will amaze the young girl coming to stay with you, whether you speak the language or not sometimes words are not necessary!! Maybe incorporate some of the food from her country as well as regular foods and also maybe have a night where you do something in regards to her culture and background and then one on yours that way you can both learn more about one another just a thought ;) I think it will be hard to send her back but think becoming a mentor will be a lifelong friendship Im sure you will both cherish!! Im so excited for you and cant wait to hear all about your experience :)
Post a Comment
<< Home