Sadness and a bit of anger
The 9/11 anniversary seemed to take its toll on everyone. All the faces I passed yesterday seemed a bit more strained, a bit more subdued. Im glad that it had that impact because it was such a horrible, sad event that we shouldnt be able to forget about it. Too many lives were altered and taken cruelly on that day. I know that I will never forget and that I will make sure that I make it as real and poignant to my children as it has been to me.
Yetserday, in the midst of doing what Im sure many other people were also doing, which is reliving that day, I also felt a different kind of sadness mixed with anger. I was remembering how in those moments following this tragedy that we had stood together as a nation and that the whole world seemed to rally behind us and feel our pain. One of the biggest rallies in support of us and to show sympathy for us was in Tehran! How I wish that we still had that support and I wish this horrid event were not somehow mixed in with a war that had nothing to do with the original event. Im angry that we had and lost the chance to create strong allies and to work on a sympathetic portrayal of the US. Even the news broadcasters were saying that we as a a nation stand so alone these days. Im angry that my kids will continue to know terror because we have created even more enemies with our aggressive tactics. But mostly Im just sad and a bit terrified that it looks like this world of terrorism is going to be something we continue to live with in the future.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home